Contact us


Email The Firm »

To help you out more quickly please fill out the form below and click submit, or if you prefer call our office at: 646-880-4689.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

FREE initial CONSULTATION 646-880-4689

24-hour criminal law hotline 917.363.4661

Divorce Modifications

Our New York City Divorce Lawyers Help You Obtain Post-divorce Modifications

Experienced legal team looks out for your best interests

Moving on with your life after a divorce can be difficult, especially if you have children or if you are paying alimony. Fortunately, the court recognizes that an individual's financial situation may  change, so modifications of child support and spousal maintenance may be necessary. However, having a court order modified after your divorce can be complicated. To change a court order, you must have proof of a substantial change in your circumstances. We at Bernfeld, DeMatteo & Bernfeld, LLP have helped NYC clients with the most complicated divorce matters for more than a decade. We can promptly review your unique situation and advise you as to the best course of action in your divorce modification matter.

Common reasons for post-divorce modifications

If you need any type of court order modified after your divorce, seek help from competent divorce lawyers as soon as possible. Experienced counsel can listen to your story and determine if you have reason enough to justify the modification. Also, if children are involved, the court will always consider their best interests over yours. Following are some common reasons you may seek a post-divorce modification in New York:

  • Job loss
  • Career change
  • Change in financial circumstances
  • Change in the ex-spouse's agreement about parenting time and custody
  • Change in visitation agreements
  • Parental relocation
  • Domestic violence

Additionally, if a parent paying child support has a higher income, the parent receiving child support may request an upward modification in child support or alimony. If a parent paying child support has a lower income, that parent may request a downward adjustment of the amount of child support or alimony.

Post-divorce modification process

First, you must determine if you have a change in circumstances that warrants modification of a court order. Next, you should begin gathering any relevant documents and evidence that might support your request for a post-divorce modification. An experienced matrimonial and family law attorney can assist in collecting evidence and filing the necessary paperwork with the appropriate court.

Contact us for experienced divorce advice

Revisiting issues from your divorce can be trying. At Bernfeld, DeMatteo & Bernfeld, LLP, we strive to help our matrimonial and family law clients resolve post-divorce modification matters as quickly as possible. Schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case with a lawyer at our firm by calling us at 646-880-4689 or by contacting us online.